Monday, October 25, 2010

Millau Viaduct


The Millau Bridge is breathtaking. It is one of the few man-made structures I have seen that has stopped me in my tracks, made me draw breath and start clicking with my camera, as if it were a natural wonder such as a great mountain! The old road winds its way off the surrounding hills and through the little town of Millau. However the sky is full of this astonishing structure which carries the Autoroute over 270metres above the shops, cafe's, offices, churches, houses and little bridges below. 270m is only the height of the road-deck too, the towers which hold the suspension cables reach far higher still!

Underneath the bridge the visitor-centre has a mind-blowing video about the construction of what (at the time) was world's tallest bridge; the construction difficulties they faced and the amazing solutions they found.

1 comment:

sara! said...

beautiful pic Hideous.. and i have to say that it is a beautiful bridge too...