Friday, January 09, 2009

Hideous Hogmanay!

Every family I suppose must have its own traditions. Some of these are mundane and unsurprising while others are the special peculiarities which make you realise that you are in the right house when you get home. Over the last few years a family tradition has emerged in the Hideous house which has become an established fixture in the Hogmanay celebrations. The particular ritual to which I am about to draw your attention I suspect may well fit into the latter (special) catagory described above.

As anyone who has ever taken up the opportunity to 'see the New Year in' with us will know, there comes a point in the proceedings, usually after dinner, when in a moment of great solemnity the Hocus Pocus Singalong is announced. Thereupon the song is selected, the stereo is cranked up, and the family spring into action.

The line up this year was something along the lines of, Mrs Hideous on lead and backing yodelling, and occasional head banging; Boris (9) on lead guitar (air) and backing screaming; Norris (6) on backing yodelling, lead screaming and manic dancing. While little Doris, lead the chair dancing, arm waving and looking bewildered. I was happy to add, backing yodels, real ale, and air drums. Guest artists this year included his venerableness my father (on jovial bemeusement), my mother (in horror and photography) and my little sister 'Potts' on tentative particpation.

It may be the case that you have lived a life of cultural deprivation, cut off from the airy refinement of higher learning, and so you are mystified by the mention of "Hocus Pocus, by Focus". Happily your misery is at an end, for here it is below in all its glory. Even better some ingenious person has added a Wallace and Grommit film sequence to it. (Don't mention Wallace And Grommit to my kids though, unless you want them to gleefully remind you that in our house it is always referred to as Grimace and Vommit).

The following is really rather lovely......


3 comments:

McNoddy said...

I still have my somewhat dog-eared Moving Waves LP I bought way back when. The vinyl is still intact and I have to admit I haven't listened to that song for a while, but I can see it being pulled out for the next party and hideous impersonations!

AnneDroid said...

Mad! But awesome as well.

His Girl Friday said...

oh the mental image...did I say, mental....? ;D