Saturday, February 03, 2007

Loch Ordie & Deuchary Hill



Boris and I have enjoyed an excellent half-day in the hills today, wandering up to the lovely Loch Ordie and then walking up Deuchary Hill - a pleasant 11km with 475m of ascent.

We have explored little of the area between the Dunkeld and Ballinluig turnings off the A9 - but were pleasantly surprised by what we found today; old woodlands, good tracks, huge views, lovely rivers, wildlife aplenty and far steeper hills than we had expected.

Schiehallion looked spectacular from the end-on view afforded from Deuchary Hill, but was surprisingly free of snow of which there plenty to be seen high on other hills such as Beinn a Ghlo. It was extremely windy and cold on the summit, but there was a good rock to shelter behind for some lunch, right next to the trig point.


We are at an awkward stage again this year where Boris is keen to walk, Norris can be persuaded to walk, but little Doris is not able to walk far, but is now too heavy to carry far. This all means that family hill walks (of any decent length anyway) won't be happening for a while and we'll have to split up and do separate things for each of them. So, this morning, Norris and Doris helped their Mum bake bread, while Boris and I worked up an appetite in order to come home and demolish it!

The photos are of Deuchary Hill from the Lochan na Beinn, immediately below the summit, and the poor quality is because they were taken with my phone. The final climb to the trig point is quite steep, going directly up between the two summits visible in the pictures.

2 comments:

Simon said...

Excellent! Its great to get out again after our winter hibernation!

Mandrew Nelson said...

Hi mate, i long for the hills of Scotland. I would love to be writing about lochs and the fresh air.

Again i appreciate your comments on my blog. All you have said makes sense and i wish that i could go into greater detail about what i mean but i find that a real challenge becuase this is a massive journey i'm on right now in terms of my faith. I dont intend to present my Blog as wooly or unconsidered. I realise that my Blog is read by a mixed group of people and so i try to present something that will be interpreted by all i realise that it doesn't always do this....but i'm sure it does get people questioning....

By using the word inclusive i mean inclsuve of other religions. By exclusive i mean 'our religion is the one and only way'....I think the strongest aspect of our faith should be our open-mindedness. I agree that to other religions this may appear weak but we need to be open and accepting of others in order to represent Jesus. We need to learn how to have a distinctive faith....what you have written i like. It again challenges me to think deeper. My theology is weak but my practice is strong. I'm in a position where my theology needs to compliment my practice. However, with five months left and a social work job on the horizon i'm always going to look at things from a people practice perspective.

Thankyou for your comments. Keep on filling me in with the delights of Perths countryside.

Andy