Monday, September 18, 2006

Hero of the Day


Today's hero is Will Chase, the founder and owner of Tyrells Potato Chips! He discovered that Tesco was stocking his products via a wholesaler, and contacted them immediately to demand their withdrawal. His reason? He wanted to maintain the "integrity of his product"!
The reason that Mr Chase is today's hero is not merely that I am a disgruntled former employee of Tesco's and like to see someone telling them where to go! No, it's more than that. When I worked for them, I had to deal with suppliers on their behalf and I know how they misuse their power in the market place to exploit suppliers up the supply chain right the way through to our beleagured farmers. I know how they publicly decry sweat shops, but cannot trace the sub-sub-sub contractors who actually make their clothes on the Indian sub-continent at sub-value prices. It also infuriates me that where I live Tesco are the only viable shopping option.
So here's a round of applause for Will Chase, the acceptable face of capitalism!

No comments: