Saturday, August 12, 2006

Has anyone seen my glasses?


Over in N. Ireland last week we were introduced to the joys of Sea Kayaking by the family. It appears to have gained the status of being their current activity of choice (although their critics might say obsession). Their many adventures in the field are well documented here.

Needless to say, we had to have a go, and it's brilliant. Just when you think you are really getting the hang of it, a larger, stronger or just different type of wave springs up to capsize boat, person and ego with equal vigour. I emerged from one such glorious inversion of base and apex, laughingly grabbing the boat and paddle - only to realise that I was without glasses! Much searching and hoping didn't reveal said spectacles which to this day lie somewhere off Castlerock beach, as elusive as the proverbial needle in haystack.

In a state of much blurredness I managed to get through the next couple of days by borrowing the wife's glasses (not my prescription) and a very old pair of my glasses. When I finally got the opticians he took great delight in asking me if the things I was wearing on my nose merely assisted my vision or also were useful for viewing Sky televsion. sadly they did neither very well.

Sadly no pictures of me capsizing were taken that day. This is more than made up for by the fact that several of the wife were. Enjoy.

PS If you see any glasses on Catlerock beach......

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, in NI & yet failed to pay us even a passing, nay fleeting, nay cursory, nay transitory, nay hasty...visit.
I subpoena you.
PS Did you go to the secondhand bookshop in Bushmills?

That Hideous Man said...

Sadly yes, I can't deny it. I was however forced to go to a celidh which was even worse than having to visit you. It was a quick trip in and out to a family wedding, and as we went from Larne not B'fast didn't get anywhere near you, unfortunately.