Thursday, April 27, 2006

Book Note: The Heavenly Good of Earthly Work by Darrell Cosden



I'm 2 chapters into this little book at the moment. I have had a couple of modules from the author at college, and as he is always so thought-provoking (not to mention provocative and controversial!) in lectures I assumed that his writing would be as well. So far I have not been dissapointed, although I have to say he is more irenic in print than in person!

The book sets out to demolish hierachical and dualistic thinking amongst Christians; in order make daily work part of our Christian mission in the world. In the introductory chapters he assaults traditional understandings of "soul-only" salvation; and points toward the rest of the book in which he will argue that the so-called 'mundane' aspects of our lives can equally be saved and gain eternal significance.

In order to do this he is going to examine key biblical passages and theological debates; and establish an eschatology based more on continuity and renewal than on complete abolition and reconstruction. (This will also have important implications for environmental theology).

Is our earthly work, (when done for, and with God), only of use in terms of being the context in which we forge relationships with God and others, or is it of eternal intrinsic worth? I have always just assumed the former. I'm interested to see if Darrell can persuade me of the latter.

No comments: