Friday, April 28, 2006

Merely a Private Matter?




Today Gordon Brown has defended John Prescott, under pressure because the press have reported that he has been unfaithful to his wife - conducting an affair with a secretary.

The chancellor has offered the usual line of defence in these instances, "its a purely private matter". But is that actually the case? I think that personal relationships are indeed private, and usually nothing to do with the press or the public. However the situation is different when it involves marriage. Marriage is not a private matter - but a public contract, made before witnesses and the law (and frequently invoking God too). Whether someone has honoured or dishonoured a public commitment can be many things -but surely not "private".

That is not to say that someone who has erred cannot continue in public office; history tells us that many great statesmen's personal lives were less than exemplary. What it does mean is that "he is doing a good job" is a reasonable line of defense to try to advance, as a person can be judged on their record. However when it comes to marriage, "it's a private matter" just doesn't work.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Surely the real issue is how someone like Prescott convinced anyone to have an affair with him. That isn't just a public matter it's an issue of national importance.

Anonymous said...

I forget who once wrote, "money and the illusion of power are the greatest aphrodisiacs".

That Hideous Man said...

No, I rather suspect that she was attracted to his beautiful use of the English language.

Anonymous said...

It in now Monday *afternoon* and that hideous man, thathideousman has not posted any ruminations. Why is this?
I have time to waste here - and I'm being denied the opportunity.

Anonymous said...

This is ridiculous - I've been hanging around in work all day and I still haven't seen any new copy from thathideousman. Further I've only just realised that today is Tuesday, rather than Monday - which only makes the sin of that hideous man more heinous. I demand some personal anecdotes, ravings or pointless comment - and I demand it now. If you are going to start a blog you should at least take it seriously. You do (with justification or not) have a readership you know - & you now have responsibilities to them.

Anonymous said...

No really - this is beyond a joke. I'm still in work, looking to be 'distracted from distraction by distraction' and thathdieousman is singularly failing to come up with the goods.
My blogger has feet of clay - and it's probably that slimy smelly clay that you find at the bottom of the pond to boot.
In the words of the Goon show (blessed are they) I say to thathideousman - 'I subpoena you'.

That Hideous Man said...

Yeah yeah yeah, sorry.
I've been thinking.